Thursday, January 16, 2003

Interesting Copyright Case Law.com has an interesting article on the Gator Corp. case that is currently before the District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. I'm intrigued to see how this comes out. On the one hand, I certainly applaud any attempt to reign in the explosion of pop-up ads that seem to be everywhere these days. On the other hand, I'm not sure I buy the legal arguments. Despite framing cases like Washington Post v. Total News, framing still seems to be a common practice. While Hotmail caught some flack for instituting the process several years ago, my Angelfire account still displays links in a frame. And to me, that would be more problematic than a pop-up ad that does nothing to modify the original content on the screen. While hunting around for links, I found this page that has archived several cases on framing and deep linking. There's also an interesting collection of materials here. Worth a look.

No comments: